Sunday 10 November 2013

La Vie en Rose

Do you know that feeling when you belong somewhere, where finally everything makes sense? Let’s start with a generalisation: Every single one of us dreams about a place where all our worries disappear and we feel simply happy. Like many artists, writers, musicians I found this “satisfaction” in Paris. So rather than giving a touristic description about this spectacular city, I have decided to talk about my impressions and experiences. Warning! My view is, nonetheless, as idealised as the main character’s perception in Midnight in Paris by Woody Allen, but equally understandable and loveable...

I have heard so many clichés about Paris, but I have never cared for them. I wanted to learn French intensely and experience the culture, and of course I chose to do that in the capital. Coming here alone for two weeks, however, was not at all easy at the beginning; I struggled with the language, I got lost all the time, I was tired and lonely. But then it hit me, the “it” being the magic! I was forced to use the language and it helped me to overcome my fear of talking with a hideous accent; even when I got lost I discovered a beautiful church or a hidden garden, and the loneliness soon disappeared too. Tiredness, though, stayed as my companion through the whole trip, sleeping was just something I had to sacrifice in order to get the most of my time being there. But to elaborate more on the loneliness, I am guessing that is no news for anyone that Paris is the most pinky-cheesy romantic city in the world you can possible imagine. Even sitting down on a regular bench encourages you to write sonnets. Since I have got back many people actually asked me if I have fallen in love, because I seem different. And in fact I did, I fell in love with Paris itself. Yes, no doubt this sounds as cheesy as a proposal on the Eiffel Tower (which I have seen), but it sums up my point. Surprisingly this is a place where it is allowed to be extremely sentimental and desperately romantic at the same time.

So rather than to sketch the magnificence of La Sainte-Chapelle, Le Louvre or the scary height of La Tour Eiffel, and besides expounding on the taste of les macarons, I feel compelled to talk about my impressions, because Paris is not about knowing it, but about feeling it. When you see it in the movies, on pictures you certainly think – “Wow this city is beautiful!” – except when you have no taste for architecture or art whatsoever. However, being there, walking along the Seine in the rain, hearing crazy musicians in the metro, smelling freshly made croissants on your way to school, staring for hours at masterpieces by artists such as Monet, Renoir, Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Picasso, that is when you get charmed for sure. The rush of happiness you get when you sit down at the La Fontaine des Medicis in Le Jardin du Luxembourg and nothing in the world can bother or disturb you. When you are walking at Montmartre in the sunshine, charming accordion players follow you and suddenly you find yourself in a happy-summer-art world on the most beautiful hill in Paris.
It is a city with so many different faces; the dangerous part in the very early hours and at night down in the metro, when the ones who follow you are not smiling musicians anymore. The romantic part essentially surrounds you everywhere, people are not afraid to give you a compliment or ask you out just like that on daily bases. Not to forget the artistic face, the room full of Les Nymphéas at the Musée de l'Orangerie, Mona Lisa smiling at you when you almost choke in the crowd of tourists, stepping into Musée d'Orsay’s hall full of marble perfections where I personally forgot that I am afraid of statues or that this place used to be a train station, the sun shining through mosaic windows dressing you up in crazy colours in Notre-Dame while there is classical music playing in the background. Glimpsing a black cat at the garden of Musée de Montmartre, where is actually a room made like the famous Chat Noir. Most importantly, Paris has its own French appearance; café goers sitting on one another, having delicious wine for dinner, overpricing everything terribly, being stylish even at home and the arrogant attitude of talking just in their heavenly sounding language which makes the weaker ones like me occasionally swoon.

It is a metropolis enormous and charming enough to have some allure to anybody. For me, Paris is like a freshly made croissant: the first bite is crunchy, but once you get to taste it properly it is divinely smooth and delicious. After you ate it, being covered in the crumbs, it is impossible to forget you enjoyed it. We all heard about it, it looks elegant, it tastes good, but it is essential to try it yourself. Paris has it all: the taste, the look, the smell, the sound, and finally, the feeling.

-          - Lucia Szemetová