Sunday 10 November 2013

"Out of Office Reply" Reading

On the 9th of October, at Fra Café and Bookstore there was a reading by the Norwegian poet Audun Mortensen from his new book, Out of Office Reply, which was recently translated into Czech. The cellar-like spaces were rapidly filled with people, chatting loudly, occupying chairs and gradually, it became a matter of luck to get a spot at a table on which to place your pint. In the over-crowded room, the sole empty space was around the table which was reserved for the organizer of the event Ondřej Buddeus (ed. note: he was mentioned by Louis Armand in the June 2013 MP), the poet and Kateřina Daňková from DAMU.
In short, it was an evening in which the arts of translation, creative writing and recitation mingled. Despite the low magnitude of the recitations and rather distracting constant migration of people between the bar (for a drink) and exit door (for a smoke), the event had an atmosphere of its own. The poems, contemporary in their usages of numbers, pop-star names or repetition of a single word, were read first in their original language by Mortensen and then in Czech by Buddeus or Daňková, who took turns.

Right before the reading, a short interview-like discussion took place between Buddeus and Mortensen. The words which I found especially thought-provoking and highly relatable to by any student of literature were the following ones, said by Audun: “I haven’t read many books. But often I have people asking me ‘Have you read this/that book?‘ I haven’t. And everytime, it’s like a small trauma.” At that very moment I could not help smirking, for the question “Have you read this/that book?” is one I am frequently asked and also pose myself… Maybe this feeling of personal agreement with the author’s idea made me more attentive than I would be usually in case of modern poetry.

Though the evening had its minor imperfections, it was definitely a memorable literary event.

-          - Anna Hupcejová