Friday 14 February 2014

Prague So Far

Moving to a strange country is always filled with trepidation and anxiety, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel them as I packed my bags. One always has the fear of being stuck in a strange land with strange people and becoming a recluse unable to connect. Naturally this was balanced with excitement, I’m one of those people who gets restless if stuck in one place for too long; new people, new country, new food, new (better) beer.

It’s been good. You might have guessed that I have not become a Boo Radley-esque recluse (yet, I’ve still got 5 months left) and I’ve been keeping busy. There’ve been things that I’ve liked, things that I’ve disliked. Much like with any other place. The city itself has to be one of the great pleasures of mine; walking through the streets in the sunlight, taking in the wonderful views at Petřín, finding a café or hospoda and sitting drinking with friends. After a year studying in central London, where a pint of beer is usually around £4.50 (150 Kč… ouch) and usually worse than what you’ll get here. If there’s one thing I miss about London though it’s the sheer variety of it; there’re people from everywhere, food from everywhere, you can find anything and can do anything. Sadly this usually comes with a hefty price-tag but my nostalgia sometimes forgets that and tea… I miss tea.

I would say though that of all the cities I could have chosen (Moscow, Krakow, Tartu, Helsinki, Belgrade, Budapest) Prague probably has the most going on culturally. In my time here I’ve visited both small and grand events; from poetry readings in small cafes to seeing Dvořak’s “New World Symphony” performed by the Czech Philharmonic (and that was sublime). I’ve also started to love Ice-Hockey with a passion rarely seen, the fact that the arena sells beer is much appreciated.
Photo credits: Dita Havránková
Music’s ubiquitous as well; from the pianos placed around the city, the video of the police playing one is glorious, to the mezzo-soprano who busks near Náměstí Republiky, wandering into a church and unexpectedly hearing the most-lovely choral music. If there’s one thing I wish I’d done more of during the summer its traveling. I managed to visit a few of the national parks, Pilsen and had a trip down to Brno but I do feel that when the weather improves I should take the opportunity to see some more of the Czech Republic, then potter around Hungary and Poland for a time.

I’ll take a minute here to talk about bread. Unless you’ve visited the UK you can’t quite realize how much better it is here. By comparison bread in the UK seems to be made with the same rat poison they use to make cocaine go further, only without the cocaine. Whereas here; (mouth waters) the strong aroma, that wonderful crunch as you bite in, the softness and chewiness of the inside. For that matter, this pretty much extends to all bakery products here. I need a pastry now.

I’ve found the country to be charming, quirky, unusual and full of unexpected surprises. I’ve liked my time here and am even considering staying on after I graduate. Perhaps nothing can sum up the charm of the Czech Republic more than this. I asked a waiter in my rather bad Czech about why a larger beer was cheaper than a smaller one, his response? “Sir, this is the Czech Republic.”


-         Graham Bush (MP’s Native-speaker co-editor; Central European Studies at UCL in London and Charles University in Prague)