Tuesday 15 April 2014

Eden on Stage

It was a long time since I opened Jack London’s novel Martin Eden – and in my hazy memory, I only had a rough idea about its plot and themes. All the more surprised was I to discover that there is a theatre adaptation of it at Divadlo bez Hranic. Simple curiosity and also growing desire to go to the theatre again pushed me into buying a ticket – so after a busy school day, I and two friends grabbed our seats at the small Prague theatre.

To be honest, all I knew about the theatre adaptation was that it is essentially one long monologue, accompanied by music. When this turned out to be true, I was afraid; would my company (who haven’t read the novel) find the evening as delightful as I was? I at least knew what was going on – but the story is a little lengthy and repetitive! Soon I realized that these insecurities were unnecessary, as everyone – even the high school class of teenagers at the back who were obviously there because they had to be – were absorbed by the performance which turned out to be metatextual.
Image credit: Divadlo Bez Hranic
How so? The performance opens with the entrance of a stranger to a bar; he and the owner decide to spend their lonely night by telling the tale of Martin Eden. The stranger plays the character of a self-taught working-class young man who desires to become a writer in early 20th century America and the bar owner turns into a pianist, who occasionally says the lines of characters like Ruth (Martin’s beloved bourgeois lady) or editors from various magazines Eden sent his stories to. Together they vivified London’s famous novel, jumping from serious moments of despair and confusion to heart-warming ones of love and success. It was all the more smile-breaking at the end of the two hours though to see the protagonist (now a popular writer) so emotionally ruined that he commits suicide by drowning into the sea.

I entered the theatre without any expectations – only small worries – and I left with a contented soul that desired to open the novel as soon as arriving home and read deep into the night. In short, I believe the theatre adaptation is a good reminder of the novel or at least a wonderful trailer to it for those who haven’t read before the challenging road to success of a courageous sailor... And it is definitely worth reading London’s novel even though neither the author nor his work is on our BA American literature reading list. 


Anna Hupcejová