Thursday 15 May 2014

Evening of the Reversed Pygmaion Effect

The Pygmalion effect, or Rosenthal effect, is the phenomenon whereby the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Before I went to the reading of the Australian poet with Polish roots Jakob Ziguras on the 28th of April (an event organized by the AAU and B O D Y), I read some of his work. Most of them I have enjoyed – though some were too philosophical for my taste. I looked forward to seeing the man behind the poems and needless to say, I had great expectations. I expected that I would like his poetry even more after meeting him and seeing him read – but this expectation failed.

I simply felt that the poems deserved a better presentation. The poet himself seemed kind and warm, but gradually I received the impression that he is distant. His persona was absent, he seemed to be unreachable – like a Grecian urn was for Keats. A question posed from the audience was if he could read something personal – he smiled and said that he could, but only after the second nudge from the audience did he do so. It was a poem about a vacation by the sea. Still, the poet seemed impersonal, aloof in his attitude and lacked enthusiasm and perhaps even emotion.

This I found was a great contrast to my expectation – he failed to excite me for his work and based on this conclusion and the fact that the Literary Theory exam is coming up, I am definitely taking the objective approach. The creator of the verses I choose not to connect with the creation itself as instead, I decided to read the poems (like “Pymalion”, included in this issue) in my mind, voiceless. In short, it was the evening of the reversed Pygmalion effect – when my expectations were not reached. I hope the next poetry reading attended will leave a more positive aftertaste than this one has. (Though the wine was good.) 


Anna Hupcejova