Thursday 15 May 2014

Questions for Shaan Bon Joshi

An Indian from the State of Indiana, Shaan Bon Joshi is the Editor in Chief of Bohemia's English Language Literary Journal and Cultural Review, The Prague Revue. The following interview reveals the background of the Prague-based literary magazine that has over 10, 000 readers and about his perception of writing, literary journalism and literature.

When did you come to Prague?
I believe two years ago.

How and why?
Good questions. I was working with a school at Haiti. Before I came to Prague, I was a project developer on a primary education course at a school and I spent a few months down there. They had an education programme that was good, but it didn’t quite meet its potential. I was asked to take the lead and take (the program) to the next level – so we were able to standardize the curriculum, hire local teachers and everything was going well. I realized I had a foundational and structural understanding on how this programme should run and where it should go, but I reached a limit in how I could mentor those teachers in how to teach ESL – because I wasn’t a trained ESL teacher. My thinking on that was that I would go get trained in ESL and in that way better serve those native-born teachers who were doing really great work there. So I was looking around at different programmes, I necessarily didn’t want to stay in the States. I was able to work from a satellite location. I had a friend who had taught in Prague who I respected and he said “Hey Shaan, I think you’d really like it if you went there”. So I found a month-long certification programme and decided okay, I’ll do it, I’ll go see Europe. During this time the school has undergone great development allowed by the work we did (holding technical or computer courses, getting TEFL certified) and I fell in love with Prague and was able to stay here without any feeling of guilt or irresponsibility. I fell in love with the culture, the people, the deep beauty of walking through the city and, of course, the cheap beer. The cheap beer was the kicker. So that’s how I decided to come and to stay.

So you continued to teach English here?
Initially, yeah. It was never really planned, but I got certified and that work in Haiti had evolved independently. I could leave it without any regret. They were moving in wonderful ways and there was nothing more I could give them really.

How long did you work there actually?
I was on site at the school for 3 months but was probably engaged in work with them as Education Coordinator about a year in total – in Croix-de-Bouquet, which is a suburb of Port-au-Prince. I miss it very much and I hope to come back there in the summer; it’d be amazing for me to see the school and see where they are now. 

So you came here, began teaching for a while..?
Yup – but didn’t really plan it to be something that was permanent. I always had these romantic ideas about Europe and saw that Prague was really one of the best places to be. In the United States, we have such a myopic understanding of the world outside of us and I quickly realized I kinda had a myopic understanding of Central and Eastern Europe. Coming here even just for short 4 weeks during that programme, I saw that there was more I wanted to know more about this place. As cliché as it sounds, I fell in love with it here. Even just taking a stroll for breakfast, I look up (which is dangerous to do in Žižkov) and am amazed by the beautiful architecture.

·         College years
Before you came to Prague, you graduated college in Journalism.
Yes, journalism with concentration on English.

Why did you choose that field in the first place?
Ironically enough, I didn’t wanna become an English teacher. (pause) I always loved literature and reading, but I wanted to approach making a living in writing in a pragmatic way. Most of my friends who went into English had these high ambitions to become novelists, which is fine, but I could see that if I was going down the route of getting an English degree, then the likelihood of just getting shuttered in by teaching 7th graders would get higher with every day. For me, journalism was a way to write and get paid for it; and it was the best way to also become a better writer.   

Did the course teach you anything new?
That’s a whole different interview. My feelings on higher education (laughs) vary. Did they teach me anything? I don’t know, maybe I’m stubborn, but I think I learned everything myself. I’ve always enjoyed learning in my own way – so if you give me a stack of books, I can figure things out my own way, especially when we’re talking about things like writing. When you try to standardize creative expression, I start having a problem with that. I think young writers need guidance, but necessarily not all of them need rules. Journalism sets these rules and I found this to be an old way of thinking. It was a dinosaur that would be extinct soon and I could see it back then. And I think time is proving me correct on that. The smart thing would’ve been to just do my work and get good grades, but sometimes your mouth gets you in trouble (laughs).

Image credit: Anna Hupcejová

·         The Prague Revue
Did you have any experience working with magazines before TPR?
Yeah. I worked for a newspaper, did some free-lancing for websites, covered boxing, some racing... probably had more experiences in sports journalism than anything else. I also covered Obama’s nomination and inauguration, so my experience was pretty varied.

Turning to the PR, how did you get the job of editor in chief?
That’s a good question. You know, they say that the best place to network is on the golf course. In my case, it was watching American football. I have a deep and profound love for sport – the biggest two of which are basketball and American football. I found this place that was showing American football games and I came to watch; I saw in the window that they had some Prague Revue stuff and I got talking to a guy by the name of Max Munson. Turned out this Max Munson was a founding editor –great guy - of TPR. And through many months of the second half of the football season (which can be very long), we talked philosophy and theory about if we were to partner on something, then how we would do it and how would we make it relevant. So he said, let’s bring back TPR in a way that’s really relevant to what’s happening today. Four, five, six months later we thought we had enough basis to do something – and once that was agreed upon, then it was full sail ahead, I guess. We clinked glasses, had a gentlemen’s handshake and it’s been that way ever since.

What is the history of TPR?
Max Munson would be the best person to ask. But I can tell you that it started right here in this restaurant, in Jáma. Max came to Prague in ’93 - he had the Jáma Reading Series in 1994, 1995 here. There was a lot of great stuff happening with English language publications because the wall had fallen – what initially was The Jáma Revue was born from the reading series and in the second issue it evolved into TPR. For each subsequent year until 2000, 2001 an annual edition of TPR came out. So that’s how it started.

So it started off in print form.
Yeah. But being in journalism school, Max agreed with me that if we are to come back, then we should in print form as well as have an online way of doing it. It is prestige because you can hold it in your hands, but I think that the internet is more forever now than print, you know? That is a piece of carbon that will erode and whither eventually while the internet is here for eternity. Even if we manage to destroy ourselves (at which we’re doing a good job), I think that somebody will come around in the next, you know, one, two hundred million years and they’ll still be able to glean information off the internet and see who we are and what we were doing. But that carbon-based publication ain’t gonna be around for our biological ancestors to see so to speak... Everything is happening online and if you wanna be relevant, you need an online media arm - and that’s what the original mind-set was. The idea for print was there from day one though.

Who are the aimed readers?
Hmm... You know, we have a lot of diversity of content... I know that when you start with something, you should (they say) have a targeted reader-base of who you want or what you wanna do. To be honest, that was never my intent – maybe that’s a fault, maybe a virtue. But really, my whole aim is to bring together as many diverse voices as we can and to have the best writing that we can. Whether people read it or not, I do care, but I really don’t. The whole targeted/aimed readers, I don’t know – I just want to focus on getting the best writing we can out there. That may not be the best approach, but that’s the way I do it. But I can tell you that most of our readers are in that coveted 18-35 demographic and most of them are native English speakers.

What would you say makes TPR so attractive to them – the articles, featured writers, the city in which the magazine is based?
I would hope all of it – the architecture, the website, the easy navigation, stuff like artwork, photos... The articles and content are one aspect of it, but you have to have the total picture there. I would like to think that when strolling down the museum of the internet, that you stop and ponder upon the portrait that is TPR.

Define “In the Stream” for our readers?
Everything that’s not classical fiction and poetry. I don’t want to think of “The Stream” as a blog – there are a lot of blog pieces in there, but there is a lot of magazine feature writing, a lot of literary journalism, confessional essays, photo journalism... Let’s say it’s inspired by the whole Jack Kerouac “stream of consciousness” concept, which means when you’re sitting there, it’s in that moment of creation. I didn’t wanna limit what we could do there, except that it has to have a non-fiction bend. We’re basically there every day – collecting moments and articles from people all over the world and in this I’d say we’re more than just a literary magazine.

·         Behind TPR
Do you think of leading TPR as a job?
Mmm... sometimes it feels like a job, yeah.

In the negative sense?
Yeah, sure. Not always though, I enjoy the work, I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t. Kurt Vonnegut’s daughter was talking about him writing – and she would say that he didn’t really enjoy writing – he didn’t like it, but he did it with purpose and dedication and he was very disciplined in how he approached it. He would do things like draw and paint for enjoyment. So... I would say writing was Vonnegut’s purpose, but did it feel like a job to him? Probably yes. So I would say that I enjoy doing TPR probably more than Vonnegut did writing.

For example, there is the writer’s block, artist’s block... Have you ever reached the point when you thought, “I don’t wanna do this anymore”?
Absolutely! I think everybody does. But you just sack up and you do it.

So is that how did you overcome the feeling?
Listen, you can find excuses not to do anything – you have to have the mental discipline to sit down and do it. When you’re talking about creative writing, if you have the luxury of time on your side, you can walk away from it - you can go for a walk, have a drink, but at the end you must always come back and sit down and do it. And that’s what I think separates writers from people who say they are writers. Because people who say they are writers aren’t able to overcome that mental switch; they don’t have the discipline to sit down and flick it. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it’s a pain in the ass, but I find that sometimes that’s when you get the best work done. Then you’re showing your dedication beyond doing it for pleasure. You’re showing your dedication to the craft – and that’s what shows the real writers.

What takes the most time - the editing, uploading, writing of articles?
It really, really, really depends. The writing is always tricky. Sometimes it’s like golf when swings can be either strained, or effortless and easy - and writing can be a lot like that. It really varies, though... Some pieces require more time to write, others more time to edit, then some take more time to present. There’s no one answer to that. Everything depends on the piece itself – it’s always centred on the content. Sometimes the hardest part is the content, sometimes it’s the displaying and editing.

Is there anything you would say you don’t enjoy about leading TPR?
(Repeats the question, thinking) Uuuuh... no. Sitting here I honestly can’t say. I don’t know, if all the editors aren’t there and it falls to me to upload all the articles for an entire week, then sure, it isn’t so much fun. But then, there’s a reward for everything – the work that you enjoy the least is then the most rewarding. Just do it.

How many people are actually in the Editor’s team?
(Thinks) I’ll tell you how many people are working on it, regardless if on an everyday basis or not. Our editorial board consists of 14-15 people. We’re entering the kind of territory where we’re growing – and we need more hands on deck. In the next year we want to become a multi-media organization and that only underlines the importance of having a functional team to help you.

Do Czechs contribute also to TPR or are mainly Americans (and native speakers generally) encouraged to write for you?
We are open to ev-e-ry-body. Whoever submits, we take the best from. It’s like asking the San Francisco Chronicle, do they only take people from San Francisco? We celebrate Czech culture, especially the Czech freedom fighters and the whole revolution and great struggle of people being here. Do I wish to have more writers of Czech origin? Yes, yes I do. But that proves more difficult than just saying “do you have Czech writers?” because you always have to find those people. But if anybody is reading this, yes, I would welcome them to submit.

·         Literary journalism, writing and literature
Does TPR have any “role models”, or other magazines that inspire its form?
I have to think about that... You know what? No. Maybe initially, but I think we’re doing something new that certainly no other literary magazine has. We do so much in creative non-fiction, literary journalism, everyday life that we are forging our own identity. We may borrow certain elements from here or there that comprise us – something like The Rolling Stones in the 70s, maybe even Playboy magazine in the 60s and 70s that – which many people forget back in the day published some of the best fiction around. But I wouldn’t say that there’s one source that informs us. Instead, we’re forming something that hasn’t been here before – and that is evident day by day. But maybe when we started, we were looking at The Paris Review – but not anymore. Every day is a new frontier.

What topics are discussed in literary journalism – is it only reduced to literature, as the title of the field suggests?
I can give you examples of literary journalism and I’ll leave it up to your readers to apply their own definition to it. Literary journalism is ... Tom Woolf, Hunter Thompson, Joan  Didion, it’s what those people are doing. It can be about politics, it can be about a lot of things but it’s just a more considered approach than what you’d see in classic journalism, which is your who-what-why-where-how and that formulaic thing that comes after it. So I would really point you towards the new school journalism with people like Joan Didion. You can see in their work what literary journalism is. In the end it’s a more creative expression of writing which takes into account the human psyche, the human soul that regular journalism leaves out.

What do you think makes a good article / writer?
What I’m looking for is execution of an idea – I may not agree with it, but if the writer is executes it well, I’m glad. We’re not a closed box – we’re open to rain at The Prague Revue.

Reading and editing articles all day, do you still have time to write outside TPR?
Not anymore. (after a while) Aaah well... yeah, yeah I do. For other organizations? No, but for myself on a personal basis? The last 3, 4 months were hard to do so but yeah.

Poetry?
No, I’ve never been a poetry guy. More literature. I like fiction. Hard-boiled, hard diction, chockful of good ideas, good plotting – that’s the kind of stuff I like.

So what writers do you admire?
The holy trinity for me as a writer growing up, not necessarily who I’m reading now these days, but who I will defend on all grounds against any assault will be Henry Miller, Jack Kerouac and Charles Bukowski. Those are my three guys, often imitated, much maligned, but I find them all necessary and I will defend them to my dying breath from anybody.

Reading all day articles for TPR, do you still have time to read other journals and books?
I think it was Marquise de Sade (I think it was and I’m sure I’ll butcher this) said something along the lines that “A good writer needs to read more than he writes”. So I would say that in my reading I’m always chasing the ghosts of classic literature. And as far as other journals go, like ours? Probably not. When I find time to read, I want to read books. Good books by great writers. I spend enough time online with our stuff that I don’t wanna see anything else online – am really past that. It doesn’t mean that I don’t, but I just don’t do in-depth reading of other sites. I return to books if I really wanna read.

Do you ever reach a stage when you get “sick” of words?
All the time when I’m losing an argument, I get really sick of words! (Pause) Sure- sure! More I feel that I fail the words by not being able to reach for the appropriate words on the shelf. I’m more sick of my inadequacy with words rather than the words themselves.

·         Concluding questions
Image credit: praguerevue.com
Where would you like TPR to be in 10 years - ideally and practically?
I’m neither a practical nor realistic person, so I can only answer upon the foundation of idealism. (Thinks) I wanna see us as a multi-media organization, I want to have a dedicated print arm, I want to expand the number of articles and the scope of what we do online and I also want to play with some video stuff. Vice dominates that video landscape and they do a great job, but it’d have to be something new, different from them. I’ve kind of toyed with the idea in my brain of a creative content channel, beyond podcasting, maybe with creative content video, but that’s something we’re not close to yet. I’d say it’s in its conception state if anything at all. But it’s something that’s 3, 4 years down the road. Right now we’re focusing on the print issue that’s coming out in May and then 3, 4 months down the road I want to have the podcast running. We’ll have to find a way to make those things successful and sustainable – and if we do find a way and continue to grow as we are, then I think that you’ll see us doing some original video content type of stuff. But it’ll have to be done with the right partners. I wouldn’t say it’s so far down the road, but it’s far enough down the road that we see the silhouette on the horizon and we can’t kick at it just yet. 


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I love Prague, I wanna be here. The great thing about the internet is that it allows you to be at all places at one time. I definitely want to do more travelling in life - but Prague has given me so many things that I’m going to be forever grateful for and I want to have a foothold in this city for as long as I still draw breath on this Earth.

Anna Hupcejová

Find The Prague Revue at the following links:
facebook.com/ThePragueRevue
twitter.com/thepraguerevue
praguerevue.tumblr.com