Thursday 15 May 2014

The Hooligirl

I think I was flying. I must have been flying, since nothing else explained how fast I got to LaVerna that night. I turned at the corner and saw the badly-lit sign above the glass door and the dim reddish glow coming from between the curtains framing the rectangle that was my destination. As I flew closer to it, I tried to see through the glass, to make out the shape that was supposed to be there waiting. A shape I craved to see... Ah, there it was. A huge thing enveloped in black, standing by the bar, its crimson head above others, shining peculiarly in the boring crowd.

I burst the door wide open and a flow of hot air smashed me in the face. My eyesight was all blurry from the cigarette smoke, yet my lungs grasped for it as if I had just resurfaced from a pool of dark night air to the bliss of carbon dioxide. My feet walked automatically to the dark shape, with all my courage dangerously dragging at my heels. I sat next to him. Only then he turned. And then he sat. And smiled.

He wasn't visibly bruised. It didn’t look like his pride was hurt either, I could see that much in the freakish brothel light. LaVerna was no brothel, but it had always reminded me of one, a little Gothic chapel just fit for sinning and dirty dark confessions… which was exactly what I had come there for. He had sinned and I was to be his priestess - a priestess rather excited to be hearing about this magnetic man's mischief. I got a drink, he had none before him. He never drank. I had no time to calm my shaking knees or adjust my eyes to the room light, so I just drained my double Cachaça like sacred water from the Holy Grail, believing it will purify me and instantly cooled off. How had it been, I asked.

He leaned on the chair, turning his lusty body to me, but looking away to some nonexistent distance. He kept smiling, so I knew it went well. They first took the train, he said, arrived there without big troubles. They had initially planned to take the traditional walk to the stadium - all seven hundred of them, but the police had said no and took them there by bus, motherf*ckers, traitors, ACAB. They had been very loud at that point. However, they controlled themselves, just until after the first half. The Others were just a few meters away, separated from them by a fluid line of neon green vests and a couple of fences that went down first, then white plastic seats rained on the neon vests, who flowed away in streams to find shelter, and on the bastards that stood closest. After some brawling, he got hit with something on the head, lost consciousness for a moment... Woke up on dirty beery concrete, somebody stepping on his hand in that very moment, which got him real mad… Endless shouting, cracking noise, blazing lights from everywhere. They had started the show while he was insensible.

I felt myself shivering. He was taking me on a trip to hell with him and I indulged in the pleasure of it, melted at the scenes of chaos radiating from his every breath. I could imagine all the things he didn't say since they were obvious and not out of the ordinary for him. Like the sound of sirens, the vuvuzelas, the chorus, the rhythm of destruction, the symphony of swearing. The Red Sea of scarves and the heads with black balaclavas turned in the direction of the Green Sea just two broken fences away. I could smell the anticipation in the muscles under their black jackets, all the same. Had you removed the balaclavas, all the heads would have been the same as well, naked, bald, glistening with the continuous light emitted by the pyro dancing in the air above the fighting and raging crowds.

Of course it had been the cops to f*ck it all up. Chased them all up to different sides and kept them far from each other, those traitors, scum, ACAB. They had stayed put until the match was over and for a few hours after it, while waiting for the train home to come. The cops had been there all the time, but so had the Others, since just a few meters behind the police wall, five of Them stood by a bench. A crystal-clear provocation. All in black, heads turned in the same direction, upwards, trying to smell horror in the night air. But there was none. Three of Us had managed to break through the living wall of uniforms and reach the five at the bench. The police were too late. Nothing had really changed, except all five Others now seemed to be sleeping on the ground, as if praying to a God that resided below its surface. They had looked the same as before, yet he was sure that once washed all the balaclavas would paint the crystal water scarlet.

Did you get it, I was shaking again as I asked. All this, was it for nothing? Had the atavistic mission of all times been successful? He smiled wider, the cold eyes of the man that just painted inferno for me warmed up. He slid his phone out of his pocket, played with it for a minute and then showed me the desired picture. It was a before-and-after one. A vast green flag the size of three cars proudly displayed on Their tribune, then the same flag turned upside down in the hands of the Crimson Thieves.

And there it was, my reason for flying there in the middle of the night. The peak of my excitement, the reward for all scheming and sleepless nights, for the couple of sweaty hours before dawn, for the filth that had grazed my breasts, for the regret that was now almost gone. The pride of their firm had been stolen; there was no pride they could return to now. The green will be painted over by crimson again, the crimson that could never be washed, the crimson that glowed in our eyes, the crimson that flowed in our veins.

His smiling face was painfully close all of a sudden, gravity sucking me in. What for? No reason for lusty bites and heavy breathing now, it could grant me no redemption. I used to think I was holy, a sacrificial virgin, but not anymore. Had I not slept with Him I still could be… Yet it had to be done. The biggest baldhead shining in the green crowd had been responsible for the flag, and he left home with me. The flag had to be passed down to someone else, to the second-in-command, someone who didn't go off to f*ck a chick he just met on a football match that night... someone who just ‘happened’ to be among the five sitting on the bench. It was ours now. That is all that mattered. He stopped smiling for the first time since we met that night.

Why was it that he found it difficult to believe me when I tried believing myself so hard? I'd done it for him and for all the other sinners. I was their priestess after all; the highest-ranking sinner among them, which, according to all celestial laws, made it my responsibility. And they forgave my sins, just as I created theirs. I sometimes catch myself thinking it is because of our fallen souls that hell is red, burning with the fire of pyro, screaming to the rhythm of the chorus with our fists doing the job of the devils’ tuning forks. And for all that, purity is a not such a big price to pay.

Yes, I used to be holy. Now, I am hooli instead.

Angie Siljanoska