Sunday 15 June 2014

Questions for Welsh Erasmus Students

Elan Grug Muse is from a small village in Gwynedd, north Wales and Welsh is actually her first language. Elan is currently studying a BA in Politics at the University of Nottingham in England. In her free time she also enjoys hiking, kayaking, travelling and writing.

William Francis Hannell is from South-East of Wales and is currently studying History and English Literature at Aberystwyth University. He also volunteers in his free time and is especially interested in the efforts of preservation of Welsh.

photo credits: Ivana Herglova
How did you decide on Prague as your Erasmus destination?
Elan: It was quite random to be honest. It seemed to have a good location and the language looked exotic, so I went for it.
William: It was a logical decision really. Charles University was the best university on the list, and was also in the most interesting place. Also, financially it made a lot of sense.

What are your impressions of Prague and the Czech Republic so far?
E: Prague is an amazing city in a brilliant country. I could not have picked a better place for my Erasmus. I love how the cities are deserted at the weekend as everyone goes 'to nature'. It seems that people in the Czech Republic know how to appreciate what they have at their doorstep - or so it seems to a romanticizing foreigner anyway.
W: A wonderful place, full of history. Prague is a wonderfully preserved city, and apart from London, there really isn’t such a place back home. I find it fascinating as I’ve never been in this part of the world for any great deal of time, and it’s been really interesting. There are some things here that are better than at home (especially public transport, that might seem odd but seriously, it’s a blessing to travel on a nice and efficient one for once). It’s also great as in Prague I get access to so much culture, and at less costs back at home (especially the opera, I love the fact that they have all the classics on repeat here, you’d have to wait for a certain season and pay an extortionate price to see Carmen or Rigoletto back home). The only  thing I’ve found strange  here is when I’m  travelling through the Bohemian countryside (and I get this everywhere in Europe) and I see flat plains stretching for miles and everything spaced out. This is ridiculously stereotypically Welsh but coming from an small area full of mountains and valleys it’s strange for me to see that kind of geography, as whenever I’ve travelled through Wales I’m almost always surrounded by mountains, or in a valley, or on a range of hills/mountains (none of them of any significant height however, it’s not Bhutan), so it actually looks and feels weird for me.

How would you compare Charles University with your respective universities in England and Wales?
E: The style of teaching at Charles University is much more laid back than in my home university, which is something I will really miss next year! There is much more of a focus on class participation than in Nottingham, which means it's not quite as easy to get away with doing nothing all semester and then cramming for the exam, which is much healthier!
W: They’re different, in terms of practices and how they evaluate you. I have to admit I have been frustrated by how they do things here sometimes, especially regarding the lack of uniformity in some areas (especially in the modules), the office hours, and general organisation, and me and Elan no doubt have qualms regarding the accommodation (as do many), but I think generally it’s just as good, and even in some parts better than Aberystwyth. I’d say generally they’re equals. However, Charles does come out on top when it comes to location. Aberystwyth is a wonderful place to live in and study in, but it’s like living in a glass bowl, everything you need is there, you never leave, it has its own climate due to the geography. Now this is useful in many ways, but it‘s also insanely difficult to get to, and there’s not a lot to see there.

Who is your favourite British writer?
E: In English, probably George Orwell, and in Welsh Caradog Pritchard or T.H. Parry-Williams.
W: I don’t actually have one. That sounds odd for an English Literature student, but I really don‘t. I read lots of non-fiction, and I have read a lot of books, and also I  haven’t read enough of any author that I’ve really liked. However, whilst I don’t have a specific favourite writer, I do have favourite British writers. When I was a child I liked C.S Lewis, Charlie Higson, and (of course) J.K Rowling. Nowadays I like George MacDonald Fraser, Aldous Huxley, and George Orwell (though I must admit, my favourite fictional writing I’ve encountered over these last few years has been American; Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Melville, Maxine Hong Kingston et al). I would say Shakespeare, but then I prefer seeing his plays on the theatre, rather than reading them (reading and studying them just kills them).

Are you also learning Czech as part of your Erasmus stay? If so, do you find it difficult (especially in comparison with Welsh)?
E: To begin with I thought it was difficult, then I heard Hungarian... I think it's all relative and it depends on the kind of languages you already speak. Welsh is as difficult to someone who does not speak a Celtic language as Czech is to someone who does not speak a Slavic language, I think.
W: No, but I did learn some before I came here. Originally, I was only staying for one semester and I now know my university wouldn’t count a language course.

Do you think there is a certain stereotype of Welsh people as there is of many other nations?
E: Of course. All Welsh people play rugby, eat bara brith and raw leeks, work in a coal mine/ slate quarry, sing in a male voice choir, play the harp, vote labour and have a quick temper.
W: Oh yes. Ask an Englishman what it is. We take it on the chin, and even poke fun at it. People from the South-East even take a strange pride from it. We get portrayed basically like the Cornish, we’re usually bumpkins (sometimes country bumpkins, though they’re used to be a stereotype that we were all intellectuals) who can all sing (I wish) and like poetry, and sheep (like New Zealanders and our closet Celtic relatives, the Cornish), and have weird accents.

Did you try some “typically Czech” food and if so, did you found it weird?
E: Yes, and most of it has been very nice, although the pigs blood soup I think I can survive without!
W: Yes I have done and I actually like it. Very Central-European methinks, lots of meat and bread-like stuff or potatoes. However, I do have two qualms, and they are that there is usually a lack of vegetables, and the fact that it’s very heavy (even Czechs have said this). Nonetheless, I love it (especially roast Duck with dumplings and salad)

What do you miss the most here in the Czech republic?
E: Being near the sea and the mountains, and being able to speak Welsh with people!
W: Not much, only minor facets, like I miss British TV sometimes, and restaurants where water and bread is given for free, and vegetables are given as part of the meal and don’t have to be ordered as a side dish.  I also miss not having to commute to university every day, as in Aberystwyth almost everything is on a campus and the town is just down the road, as is everything you can possibly need; you only have to walk to get anything and to get to anywhere. However, I imagine that when I get back, there will be a lot from Prague that I will be missing.

What places in Wales would you recommend to visit?
E: Llanberis and Castell Dolbadarn. Llanberis is an old slate mining town in Eryri, at the foot of the Snowdonia mountains. I it home to the Dinorwig Quarry, which i at least find hauntingly beautiful in it's own way, plus the picturesque and forlorn Dolbadarn castle. You can do everykind of outdoor sport imaginable here since it is situated right in the heart of the Snowdonia mountains, plus they have good ice cream.
W: A lot of the stuff in Wales is in the countryside, so if you visit you’ll need a car as the public transport there is terrible. I can only really speak for the South. In the South where I’m from there’s lots of lovely countryside, especially in the Gower Peninsula. When it comes to cities I’m afraid we’re not impressive; though the smaller towns like Pembroke and St Davids are lovely. The sites and countryside around the major cities are fantastic, lots of castles, Roman Ruins, and countryside. However, when it comes to the major cities themselves, STAY AWAY from Newport (trust me, I live there. It used to be a place that was actually interesting and nice, but that was a long time ago), and Swansea isn’t interesting (though the general area around it is fantastic). If you go to Cardiff visit the castle and the Bay (especially if you’re a Dr Who fan). If you like industrial history then the places worth visiting in the Valleys would be the old Merthyr Tydfil Steelworks (UNESCO World Heritage Site) and Big Pit Coal Mine.

What is your favourite Welsh word?
E: This is a tricky one. Maybe 'cigfran'? It means raven, and I think it has a good bite to it.
W: Hiraeth: it’s a ridiculously poetic word, making it quintessentially Welsh, and there’s no direct English translation: it‘s a longing for one's homeland, but it's not mere homesickness. It's an expression of the bond one feels with one's home country when one is away from it, but it can also be a nostalgia for an idealised past, perhaps one that wasn’t even real.

And of course… are there really so many sheep?
E: Yes. Wales: Where 'sheep were in the way' is a legitimate excuse for being late for anything, anywhere. 
W: Yes, we’re like New Zealand and Cornwall in some ways, including our high number of sheep. Sheep to us are like Pigs to Denmark, they actually outnumber the human population. Sometimes, we even pride ourselves on our Lamb.


Johana Lajdová

Note: Read the article on their lecture over here.