Wednesday 22 April 2015

FLASHBACK: Willie Watson, on writing

How would you, in a single word/sentence, describe your poetry?
Okay, if it’d be one word, it’d be “light”. Not meant to be taken too seriously, no subtleties, symbolism... It’s just light. I will write about anything - if it rhymes, great. Lately I’d say I’m not even choosing topics – if the words are there, I write it as long as I don’t hate it.

Where do you write most of the time?
At home. I don’t know... I think that with poetry it’s different than with short stories or novels, that it’s a much more long-term work process. I think that the key central lines can pop up anytime, when you’re walking, taking the tram, a bath... And the rest streams out from that. So no, I don’t have a favourite part of Prague. But there is a park near my home where I go for a walk when I’m bored or there are a lot of things on my mind and I walk around until an idea pops up in my head.

Do you push yourself into writing a poem every day?
Hm, I’ll just say what I write every day. I write a blog everyday (www.gurukalehuru.com) – 250-500 words is my goal, but I’ve been going over 500 words lately! (Laughs) So once I finish the blog, I write a couplet that has to be 140 characters of less so it can go on Twitter. So when you say if I write a poem every day, I do write a rhyming couplet every day. But a poem? No, but Alchemy does keep me going, I try to write 4-5 poems a month and one song parody per month, but I don’t know for how much long I can manage that! It’s much harder than poems.


Willie Watson was interviewed in MP#8, which can be found on our online database. The poem below is from his book of poetry “155 Sonnets”, published in 2014.