Sunday 30 June 2013

You Don't Know What "Loud" Means Unless You've been to a My Bloody Valentine Show (Archa Theater, June 6th 2013)

The Dublin shoegaze greats My Bloody Valentine are one of a kind. They’re one of those rare bands you have to really “get” in order to fully appreciate them, because first time around, you’re usually not prepared for the intense experience, which their trademark wall of sound is. As for seeing them live – brace yourself: your life shall never be the same again.
 
I remember listening (or rather trying to listen) to MBV’s seminal 1991 opus Loveless for the first time some four years ago, being most perplexed. I was desperately trying to figure out what in the world it was that earned the band (who were defunct for 18 years at the time) and their leader Kevin Shields such a cult-like and legendary status. Admittedly, I was then guilty of being distracted by the larger-than-life (and oddly enough somewhat lo-fi at the same time) production, where reverse-reverberated, fuzzy, swirly and just otherworldly guitars dominate the frequency spectrum. This leaves everything else, including vocals, practically buried in the mix, intertwining into a hazy texture of indistinguishable multiple layer sound. Just this fact alone takes a while to get used to, especially if you’ve grown up listening to music that’s in accordance with the generally accepted aesthetic of non-instrumental contemporary music, where everything is usually built around the vocal. Needless to say, I then concluded that this was not my cup of tea and wondered why was Loveless one of the most expensive albums ever made, allegedly costing nearly 250 thousand pounds. 

Flash forward two years from then; I’m watching Sophia Coppola’s Lost in Translation (which had previously left me underwhelmed – why yes, certain things take time) and suddenly a song comes on and… It’s Sometimes from Loveless! The rest is history, as they say: from then on, I was hooked for life. When Kevin Shields announced a new album and a tour earlier this year, everybody’s expectations went through the roof. Lucky for both him and the fans, the expectations were surpassed and then some.

Entering the venue on the night of the concert, I saw several people exchanging confused looks when they were offered a free pair of earplugs at the door. To my advantage, I’ve read numerous accounts from the late 80s and early 90s where unprepared people had to literally run away due to MBV’s overwhelming stage volume levels, which in some cases reportedly led to permanent eardrum damage. Looking at the stage, one could indeed smell danger. Shields’ technicians have set up 10 amplifiers, at least 8 speaker cabinets and a few dozens of effect pedals and processors; little less than that could be seen at Bilinda Butcher’s (rhythm guitarist and lead vocalist) side of the stage. 

The opening band, Rakovník’s Manon Meurt, was a pleasant surprise, not at all Czech-sounding. However, in all of their songs, there didn’t seem to be anything other than obvious tips of the hat to various 90s shoegaze icons (Slowdive, Ride, Flying Saucer Attack), but their role was apparent: not to be original but to prepare the audience for the sheer sonic brutality that MBV are.

Trying to put MBV’s set into words – the phrase “life changing experience” instantly comes to mind. From the first notes of I Only Said, it was crystal clear that they still got “it” – they sound as fresh and unique as they did 22 years ago. The set-list contained both crowd pleasers (When You Sleep, Only Shallow, Soon etc.) and numbers from the new album (New You, Only Tomorrow, Who Sees You etc.), which blended with the classics unexpectedly well. The songs that sound so meticulously produced on the record don’t lose any of their magic live – they only come across infinitely more urgent and tight while retaining their signature dreaminess. 

As the show progressed, the band just oozed energy, the intensity escalated to an incredible level, along with stage volume. Although I’ve read about the “holocaust [sic]” section in the middle of MBV’s usual set closer You Made Me Realise, nothing could have possibly prepared me for the 130 dB fierce showcase of power. For the first time ever, I felt that earplugs weren’t enough; even the stage crew unanimously decided to put their protective headphones on. Along with trippy projections, the colossal amount of feedback and unpredictable patterns of rhythmic noise made for an experience that was nothing short of psychedelic. With my eyes closed, I felt like I was swimming in a dripping matter made of sound, strobe lights were playing tricks on my sensory processing and the pleasantly rumbling low frequencies were vibrating through my whole body. At that point, the band became the audience and the audience became the band. The whole venue became a single entity, living and breathing the moment, embracing the loudness as an indigenous deity.

When it was over, I refused to believe what I’ve just gone through – I felt heavily intoxicated but rest assured, it felt right and natural. Going home, I simply had to smile. My Bloody Valentine had indeed made me realise why they are hailed as one of the most innovative and important acts in the history of music. Do yourself a favour and give Loveless a listen. Chances are, you’ll find yourself gazing at your shoes in no time.