Sunday 16 March 2014

Reminiscing over Paradise

Confused and vulnerable, I walked out of the gates of the minimalist San Jose airport into a shouting crowd of people, each of whom was trying to locate someone. I got picked up by a toothless shabby man who understood my ‘EF’ cries (the name of the language company; Education First). Juan Carlos was the driver, a chubby lad in his late 30s who radiated joy. A guy in his mid-twenties, Luis, whom Juan Carlos knew also joined in for the 3 and a half hour drive to Tamarindo. With all the jungle and dirt roads around, the first ride felt like a video game. They chatted all the way, not decreasing in vehemence. I tried really hard to understand but the two ticos had their own game which my then A2 level couldn’t touch. Luis at least talked some English. He promised that I was going to have the time of my life. I don’t think a truer promise has been made to me.

The host family was wonderful. Costa Ricans live far more communally than we Czechs can ever imagine. In the morning, my host madre Carmen, the sweetest lady you’ll ever meet, gesticulated towards the neighbouring house, “mi hermano primero,” then towards the second, “mi hermano segundo,” and so on. I found out that our little luxurious shed of a simple yet comfortable house was surrounded by her close family, members of which hung out at Carmen’s most of the time just chatting and chilling unless there was a soccer match on; they’d turn shouting and wild. As for the communal living, the city looked ‘normal’ of course but in the country where my lodging was, Costa Ricans were a different species than what I’d previously known about humanity; prejudiced knowledge represented for example by my mother’s favourite saying that the best place relatives are to be found is in a photo album.

The school comprised of a flat house with a huge conference room and two five-floor villas with accommodation for the ones more inclined to party than to absorb the daily life of the locals. Classrooms were spread about the buildings around a pool and a comfortable patio with table tennis. “Monos!” someone shouted. Most of the people just lazily went on their business. “Monos?” I enquired of my newly made German friend. “Monkeys, Míra,” she explained, “somebody spotted monkeys, let’s check it out.” And there they were, in the trees adjacent to the school, some of which hovered over the patio. The first thing that struck me about the monkeys was the extreme humanity of their face. But everybody knows, of course, that we were made on the Sixth Day. They carried their younglings on their backs and stared back at us until they got bored of the prying cameras and swung away into the jungle.

The city of Tamarindo, which housed our school, was a tourist destination riddled with surf shops and expensive restaurants. Surfing was harder than it had seemed. “Paddle, paddle, paddle, paddle!” One had to paddle, swim with your arms away from the shore to where the waves were just about to break. Your arms were sore in a minute. But when you do finally manage to stand up on your board and ride the wave with at least some style you feel like a million bucks. Unless a 16 year old Swiss girl manages to stand up 5 times seizing the wave with flair before you start gaining some balance on the board. It disrupts one’s manhood. The classes were very interactive with lots of talking and lots of girls. Hitting on most of them, shockingly, furnishes a reputation as a perv. The teachers loved their jobs and it was a marvel to perceive their way of talking; Costa Ricans dance with their mouths employing all their facial muscles with joyous grace and when they laugh they laugh with their heart.

A sophisticated European would opine that they are a simple people, yet as Hemingway admitted, the more intelligent one gets the lower amount of happiness follows. Ticos don’t have a standing army and are wise and happy people to such a degree one has to cudgel one’s brains as to what might be the cause. I blame the weather. Under the equatorial sun the nature seemed to go mad. The bugs were enormous. A crab crawled into my outdoor shack of a bathroom and stared at me as I was doing my bodily duty. The one time I got lost in a jungle, half on purpose to experience some adventure, I got attacked by 3 inch ginger ants that bite you as soon as they land on your tender skin. “My ginger brethren, how could ye?!” One tree was armed with thorns as big as a cockroach. Another tree comprised of at least 10 different species of different trees and creeping liane. There was a touching scene as I went jogging one day (the humid climate actually made for a swell run). There was a dry branch on this tree that should have fallen off to the ground to die. But, a saviour liana which grew on that tree and which entwined the branch held it mid-fall as if staging the cliché stock scene from adventurous flicks where one holds the other by a slippery arm about to fall down into the abyss. This was no cheap scene. It was natural, emotional and beautiful.

The first three weeks were rather studious with only two parties a week. People were great. My first impression of most of them as spoiled brats proved wrong, at least with most of them. Also, I felt old. My age of 21 was of the old fart sort compared to the 16-18 norm running through the campus. This however hasn’t hindered me in creating some excellent international friendships, some of which, thanks to the somewhat seedy invention of social networks, I cherish until today. And thanks to those pro-pleasure individuals, the last two weeks of my stay at Costa Rica were bathed in litres of Imperial and Bohemia (two of the best local ‘beers’), spiced with the occasional vodka cocktail made from insanely cheap and DELICIOUS fruit and fumed with bad outdoor skunk (the badness of the sensi was rather surprising considering how close Jamaica was). There was Arizona (US), Anthony (BE), Miles (US-CA), Sophie (CA-FR), Alexandra (US), Alicia (Swiss-British) or Seňorita Naranja (NE), to list the social top drawer. There’s nothing like waking up surprisingly free of a hangover to a blinding sunlight at 10am with a goddamn dime of a Yankee friend gesturing her dewy beer towards a glorious morning toast. And so I chugged. Pura vida!
Image credit: Jaromír Lelek

The last thing I want to brag with is my visit to the Río Celeste and the Monteverde national parks. The first featured an astounding river with shifting colours due to minerals at the end of which there was a spectacular waterfall where we swam. I exerted all my effort to swim right under it but the torrent was too strong. ¡La fuerza de la naturaleza! Also, I saw the biggest spider and butterfly of my life, both larger than the size of a textbook. Monteverde harboured the adrenalin attractions. There was the infamous zip-lining. And then there was the possibility of a bungee jumping. The girl before me got stuck in the ropes and the operators had to climb down to her to untangle her. She lost her shoes and I was losing my patience. And then I was standing at the edge of a cabin which was hung on a ski-resort lift steel rope in between mountain valleys. The drop was 120m. I couldn’t believe I was actually doing this. My plan was to scream some funny high pitched catch phrase to amuse my friends. But as soon as there was no solid ground under my feet, I lost my tongue (also, the nice operators screamed: ¡Nooo! ¡El peligro!”). All I could manage to do was to absorb the free fall; the incredibly increasing speed, the awkward position of my stomach somewhere under my buttocks, sheer life wheezing by and into me.

As the rope pulled I flew back up, and then back down, up and down. In the process I managed to burn my arm against one of the safe ropes. Regardless, it was beyond fun.

Jaromír Lelek