Monday 8 June 2015

An Account of “Something like a Folk Show!”

Friday evening, NAPA bar. I usually come here on Mondays for Alchemy readings, but the general atmosphere was more laid-back than at the beginning of the week. Maybe that was because almost everyone already had a beer in them. No matter the alcohol level, everyone was there for the live music – live music played by the English and American Studies 2nd year student Matěj Vašíček and his musical partner Louise Hallgren. ¨
The evening was promoted on social media as “Something like a Folk Show!” – and indeed, there were moments of folk show. For example, the popular sing-along of "A Hundred Years Ago" that got the audience involved, then “The Saint Patrick Battalion” which Matěj performed alone. The two singers utilized not only the guitar, but also the harmonica. These, alongside covers and self-written songs, together formed a pleasant evening where all study and personal stresses were forgotten.

The following section of this article shall be dedicated to impressions of my fellow classmates who have attended the event. As for myself, I enjoyed myself thoroughly and though the concert portion of the evening lasted not even an hour, casually conversing with fellow students also helped form a relaxed Friday evening.

-          Anna Hupcejová

“The concert had a great spirit. NAPA bar has a nice cosy feel, which added a lot to the performance. It is wonderful to see our classmates being active outside of the classroom and cooperating with people from other countries too. Their own creative work, music and lyrics were fabulous, and I encourage everyone to attend next time!” Kryštof Petrásek

“I didn't know what to expect and I somehow missed the fact that they were also playing guitars (which I like), so I was really surprised. They were both great, their own music was interesting, I preferred the slower and more quiet songs, but all of them were really creative. The bar was full and though I usually don't like when someone is making me sing, it was fun when the whole bar joined in singing one song (I don't remember what it was, something traditional I think). It was much better than being home on Friday night so if any of you will have any kind of performance in the future, I'd be happy to go there too.” – Alena Bulantová


"The concert was infused with the sort of energy that I've come to expect from someone like Mat. The addition of Louise Hallgren only enhanced the whole experience." – Andrew J. Buring