Monday 8 June 2015

Interview with Alasdair Bouch

ON PRAGUE AND THE CZECH LANGUAGE

First off - what is your hometown and how did your Prague adventure begin?
I grew up south of London in a tiny place that I still haven't managed to make famous. Sorry, Oxshott - you will perhaps forever be known as the village with the most professional footballers in England. I arrived in Prague by accident more than design - I wanted to do a teaching course, and from the limited options, Prague seemed like the most exciting at the time.

If I am not mistaken, you are living here for your 8th year now. What do you believe is it about Prague that keeps you here (the people, culture, beer)?
I feel at home here - it's as simple as that. I have been all around the world, and only a few places have given me this feeling. I immediately immersed myself in Czech culture and history - reading all the local literature in translation that I could get my hands on - and found a lot of common ground.

Is Prague the only foreign city you have lived or have you spent time also in other places?
I have lived for brief periods in other countries, mainly working to fund my ongoing travels, but this is the first time I have settled in a non-English speaking country. Every day is challenging in its own way, but I like that.

When did you begin learning Czech?
I started right away with lessons at a language school. I can't see the point of living in a 'foreign' country if you're not bothered to learn the language that everyone around you speaks. I am a guest here, and you wouldn't expect someone visiting your house to blatantly ignore your language and customs. Nowadays I take every opportunity to speak Czech - but I find most of my local friends prefer to speak English with me.

ON SONGWRITING
Was it your intention from the very beginning to become a singer-songwriter or did you have other career plans? If the second option, why the change of plan?
It was never a dream of mine to be a full-time musician. I just put a ton of work into it, and slowly it became clear that I could scratch-out a living from it. I have tried my hand at many other jobs - shop assistant, barman, builder, farmer, the film business, writer, and most recently, teacher. The reality is that I have worked harder at music than any of my other jobs - it only appears glamorous from the outside because most people only see the couple of hours you are on-stage enjoying yourself. Any self-employed worker or artist knows what I mean. Part of our job is to make it look effortless.

Your performance at Joy that I saw last April certainly looked effortless! Do you recall the first song you wrote (he nods) What was it about?
I must have been around 16 and - setting the theme of a lifetime's work - it was about my first girlfriend. I rediscovered it a couple of years ago and was fully prepared to be horrendously embarrassed by this slice of juvenilia. But I played it through and was pleasantly surprised by how mature it was. I have certainly written many worse songs in the interim! It just goes to show that honesty in lyrics is paramount - the truth never dies.

E.M. Hemingway had a “write one page a day” rule. Do you have something similar – or how would you describe your song-writing process?
Absolutely not. It might have worked for Papa, but I say if you've not got something interesting to say, keep it zipped. I've tried this method - it's like forcing blood out of a stone. Writing a song is as easy as ABC, but writing a splendid, timeless song that is meaningful for you... that's where the art comes in. Frustratingly, the muse tends to strike at inopportune moments, like when I'm walking down the street. Then I have to dash home and try to get it down as soon as possible. I've also lost many songs this way.

Do you ever have writer’s block? If so, how do you “unblock”?
I have long periods of inactivity as far as song writing goes - month after month - it doesn't bother me. I don't see it as slacking. I've got plenty of other work to be getting on with, and a massive backlog of tracks that I can't wait to record. And by the time I finish the next record, I'll have more. The key is not to get anxious and start panicking - just like looking for a new girlfriend, you start to get desperate and will end up with second, or third best. But if you relax and wait for the right moment, a great song will come along, then another, and another, like buses. If you've got it in the first place, you can't lose it.

ON ALBUMS AND TOURS

So during your time here you have completed 4 albums: ‘First Person Singular’, ‘Second-hand Lullabies’, ‘Third Time Lucky’ and the latest one being ‘Go Forth!’ How would you describe your newest work, how is it perhaps different from the previous ones in terms of sound, for example?
Musically, 'Go Forth!' harks back to the first album in many ways - acoustic wooden music - but it has a little Americana flavour mixed in. I've learned a lot from my previous studio outings, and this time I had a very clear idea of what I could achieve. Three of the songs on this album are over ten years old, but only now do I feel that I could do them justice. I also have the great pleasure of working with musicians who I truly admire and can make these things happen.

How is the album thematically different from the previous ones?
Thematically, the new album deals with my perennially circular motifs of life, lust, love, leaving, longing and loss. It's certainly a lot mellower than the hard-rocking third album, but textually it retains some of that darkness. I'm a very positive person on the whole, and my concerts tend to be joyful, smiling affairs. This might appear to be at odds with what are lyrically quite often stories of heartbreak, and this album holds some of my most raw, honest lyrics. No life is free from tragedy, but music, humour and poetry can sometimes soften or sweeten the blow. It is the work of art to translate these feelings into something at once wholly personal yet universal. As such, it is a very cathartic, healing album for me, but also hopefully for others - a few people have written to me that it had them in floods of tears. I am always tremendously moved when I hear that the little songs I wrote in my bedroom can affect others in such a way. Despite all this, it is ultimately an optimistic album - we can make it through the toughest trials and out the other side. These are survival songs.

You have gone on quite a few European tours. What do you enjoy the most and least about them?
I love meeting new people, and trying to win them over with my music. Exploring new towns is a bonus, when I have a spare hour or two. But I usually hitchhike to shows, so time is limited, and it's exhausting. But even hitching can be fun - I once gave an impromptu concert in the back of a stretch limo while being force-fed cocktails. I meet lovely people from all walks of life, and they all have stories to tell. I learn a lot on the road. On the other hand, hotels are luxuries - I usually sleep on couches, or friends' spare beds, keeping energy levels up is very straining. I have to give 100% on stage, otherwise I'm deeply disappointed with myself.

ON INFLUENCES AND FAVORITES

This may be a rather cliché question, but what are your main inspirations and influences?
Another major task of any artist is to provide an original, interesting answer to this question. The truth is, and my advice to any aspiring musician is, if you feel inspired to write a song after listening to your favourite band, go for a long walk and get it out of your system. No good will come of it. No one wants (or needs) a pastiche of your favourite song. Write from your own experience - and if you have none, go out and get it. Live until you absolutely have to write a song that reflects what you have felt; until you bleed the words. Or be the next Justin Bieber. I don't care, it's your choice.

I want you to be narcissistic for a second: what’s your favourite self-written song?
Oh, I can be narcissistic for a lot longer than that. In fact, I might have to be, because I can't choose that easily. Songs are like children: some are ugly, some are embarrassingly stupid, some are sweet and some just plain evil. But you love them all the same, because they are part of you, and whether you like it or not, you gave birth to them and now you have to live with it. That said, you might prefer a certain song one day and another the next. Also, like children, the years change them - one you didn't have much hope for might turn out to be cleverer or more engaging that you gave it credit for. Nevertheless, I tend to gravitate to newer material. Today, my favourite song of mine happens to be 'Independence Day' from the new album, but tomorrow it might be 'Missed A Word' or 'Any Way I Can'.

What are your preferred music artists and genres?
As far as singer-songwriters are concerned, most recently I've enjoyed the new King Creosote, Hiss Golden Messenger & Chris Staples albums. But I usually prefer to listen to something further removed from my 'genre', no matter how wide that designation might be. In the last 24 hours, I've been listening to a bit of Speedy Ortiz, Cayucas, Perfume Genius, Painted Palms, and Chopin. Make of that what you will.

In an interview with Lidové noviny you said that you admire Czech literature, especially the works of Hrabal and Seifert. Do you have any favourite English-language authors?
I try to read one Palahniuk a year, just to see what boundary he's pushing these days - not sure I could call myself a big fan, though. Otherwise I can't remember the last time I read any fiction by an English-language author, aside from Ken Nash's fantastic (in all senses of the word) short story collection 'The Brain Harvest' (ed. note: we have done an interview with Ken Nash for the April 2014 MP). My favourite living English-language wordsmith is Nicholson Baker. He's a master of his craft.

CONCLUDING QUESTIONS
For anyone writing music and especially their own lyrics, what would be your tips? What should they do and avoid?
Be yourself. Even if you are inventing a character to tell your story, root them in truth, experience and honesty - even if they are a liar. People can instantly recognise if something rings true or not. The human condition is universal. Some have life better than others, but they still desire, fear and hurt the same as you. If you tap into that, you have a direct line to their heart, or brain, or groin - whatever you are trying to turn on. Then find a rhythm that suits you. Write when you feel like it. But write. Practice is honing your craft, finding your voice. You'll know it when you find it.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years, ideally and realistically?
Ideally, I would like to be alive. Realistically, who can say...

-          Interview conducted by Anna Hupcejová
Find and follow Alasdair on social media:

'Go Forth!' is available now at all good Internet stores.