Friday 14 February 2014

My second SHORT night

Call me impatient, but I prefer short films over feature-length ones. So for the second time, I went to the Prague SHORT Film Festival – and though the group of movies presented weren’t as good as the ones last year (from what I remember), it was still an event comparable to a roller-coaster ride of emotions. In combination with being part of an audience who is then to choose the top 3 movies of the competition film series, it was an exciting evening as well.

The evening began with the Icelandic short film “Whale Valley”, which depicted an older brother’s depression through the eyes of the younger one. The vast landscape shown was beautiful, yet created a feeling of emptiness and the camera’s focus on the brothers and their relationship that solidifies thanks to the climax together formed a moving picture. The touched audience was then transferred into the garbage-filled Pakistani landscape and the life of a glue-sniffing gang. Honestly, I had expectations for this movie, but somehow it simply did not work for me. There were instances of lively music, yet the poor computer effect of a flying dollar note and an animated fox were simply bad. The Swedish short that followed also disappointed me; what I hoped would be a grin-provoker turned into a psychological torment. Imagine a long scene where an innocent pet mouth runs around a rat trap, nibbling the cheese cube bit by bit until,- snap! A long scene of it slowly dying follows. There were several uncomfortable scenes like this; one of them ended with an older woman’s voice breaking through the crowd’s unison “Ah!” with the words “They’re kidding right?” This whole film was a joke, but a bad one. The Canadian short that followed was too serious and I dare say it seemed unfinished – maybe it was some artsy thing to have long black-outs with echoes of a conversation or a teenage school band, but for me, the 25-minute film was just lousy and long.
(Image credits: Festival krátkého filmu)

The evening was saved by the final two movies: a Czech production “Strach” that was thought-provoking as it discussed the mediatised story of a Czech youth who lied about being attacked by Roma and “Julian”, a witty film about the eponymous fourth-grader after which one left the small Světozor cinema hall with a smile. After the preceding movies that were either HD and had no story or were poorly edited and shot, they both definitely increased my faith in the evening.
So once we were out, my companions and I wondered what movies to put on the top 3 ranks. On my list, I put “Julian” on the first line and my love for melancholy placed “Whale Valley” on the second and “Strach” went on the last one. Days later, the results came out: “Julian” won the audience award and hopefully next year’s SHORT Festival will include more films of this one’s quality. 


-          Anna Hupcejová